Territory/Location: Central Midwest (Home base - Chicago-Area Preferred)
- 3-5 years full-time experience in Food Ingredient Sales or combination Product Development and Ingredient Sales
- Categories: Food Processing, Business Development & Ingredient Innovations, Sales/Marketing
- Preferred Education: 4 Year Degree BS or BSE Food Science, Food Chemistry, Chemistry, Biology or related Sciences.
Primary Job Duties:
- Increase revenue and gross profit in territory
- Manage territory successfully through growth of accounts and protection of existing business
- Service new and existing customers with minimum of 20-25 on-site sales calls/month
- Promote complete product line. Focus on different product lines in subsequent visits
- Research new and existing accounts via customers’ websites and LinkedIn listings.
- Understand the products manufactured, anticipate new products or line extensions, and determine how the ingredients in our portfolio can solve challenges
- Produce call reports in CRM and update customer database files with contact information and locations. Update project opportunity pipeline on a monthly basis
- Plan sales calls and travel well in advance with calls scheduled in CRM Calendar.
- Constantly develop new customers, products, suppliers with proper follow-up on questions, documents, samples and ongoing projects
- Coordinate suppliers’ visits and joint calls, including but not limited to travel and hotel reservations
- Keep in constant contact with suppliers & product managers for technical questions, sample/project updates, and portfolio changes
Trade Organization Involvement
- Organize, exhibit and attend trade show events including but not limited to Suppliers’ Night shows at regional sections of IFT.
- Take an active role in industry trade associations and committees to increase your professional network and promote the Dempsey brand. Attend 2-3 meetings per year
Technical Awareness & Accountability
- Be viewed and considered a ingredient expert and source reference for customers
- Stay current on processing and manufacturing needs of customers and prospects and use this knowledge when introducing new food ingredients
- Understand the technical ingredient interactions and how principal products can work together in application
A successful candidate has sold functional food ingredients to a wide variety of food product manufacturers. Some examples of products in this protfolio include gums and stabilizers, milk replacers, fibers, proteins, starches, flavors and flavor enhancers –yeast based and others, protein broths and meat based flavor systems, seasoning blends, and natural colors.
A successful candidate will have excellent prospecting and closing skills. An expert at consultative selling, the ideal candidate knows how to ask the right questions to uncover opportunities and ongoing projects. The candidate will demonstrate the ability to influence buying decisions and understand how to leverage a product mix, inventory management, and profit margins. The candidate is constantly looking to improve efficiency and be a valuable resource for our customers.
Our sales team is motivated by a unified vision. We are seeking a candidate who excels in a fast-paced environment who can juggle multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities. The idea candidate will also derives personal reward from helping someone, even when it isn’t connected to an immediate sales opportunity. The ideal candidate understands the distribution sales model importance of building supplier/customer relationships.